What do future careers look like? Flex careers including part time working, flexible hours + portfolio careers are on the rise. With 4 speakers who all have different perspectives you will leave this event with a very full tool box to flex your work and future proof your career. We are co-hosting this event with Rachel
Top tips on how to impress a law firm – Your route into law
Law firms on the surface can seem a bit daunting if you have never worked in them before but they are all unique and have their own idiosyncrasies so its important to find the firm that will suit you.
Benefits of working in law firms:
There are many benefits to working in law: attractive remuneration and rewards, stability, good career progression and development, the opportunity to work with a wealth of incredibly bright individuals in a profession that is dynamic and fast changing. But getting a good job offer in law might seem daunting, if you’ve not worked in it before.
How to secure a role in law:
- Do your research, not just of the basics (size, turnover, offices, etc) but also of management initiatives, structure, culture and awards. Try and get a feel for what this firm is like to work for, and judge your suitability carefully. It’ll help you show you’re a good match. Have a look on Glassdoor for company reviews.
- Get to know more about the people you will be working with – including the managing partner and functional heads. This will help as you put faces to names through the interview process, and make you look engaged and interested. The trade press (The Lawyer, Legal Business, Marketing Week etc) and LinkedIn are good for developing your people knowledge.
- If you are completely new to law, find out as much as you can about the changing trends in this sector and be prepared to talk about them, as well as being able to express why you want to be part of this progressive sector, and how you see your career developing within it. For some roles, Law Firms will be looking outside the sector e.g. Legal Project Managers, Innovation Managers.
- Progressive law firms are striving for innovative new ways to deliver their services to clients. But in a partnership environment, it is still a case of winning over the team and influencing change rather than taking control. Show that you appreciate the importance of consensus and the need to persuade and influence internal stakeholders.
- Don’t be afraid of showing that you are passionate and full of ideas. Just try to back up any suggestions with some solid evidence or research. Law firms are full of bright people who will appreciate an intelligent and well-thought-out approach.
- In your interviews, think before you speak. Listen to the questions well and try to answer with relevant examples. Avoid waffle or going off on a tangent, and be prepared to ask questions that go beyond the obvious things you could Google.
The legal profession offers business services candidates a wealth of opportunities to progress to the highest leadership positions at board level. Business teams are highly valued for their contribution to law firm growth and are making a real impact at every level and across every function of their firms.
If you would like to chat to us further on how best to achieve a job in law then please drop us an email firstname.lastname@example.org