Purpose of the role:
To support the implementation of Sector’s business development plans in order to drive increased sales of profitable, strategically-aligned work in to the firm.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Support the implementation of the Sector’s business development plans in line with the firm’s and Sector’s business strategy/objectives focussing in particular on the development of reputation, key relationships and the development of new service lines and revenue.
- Advise on the strategic positioning of the TMT, Life Sciences, Health and Diversified Industrial (largely Manufacturing)sub-sectors to inform business development activity. Do this considering our capabilities and place to play in the market.
- Provide day to day support to the leaders of the sub-sectors on the wide range of BD initiatives they undertake.
- Work with the AMT BD team to align sub-sector business development activity across the four sub-sectors in AMT (Life Sciences, Health & Diversified Industrial and TMT) and to support the Sector Head on AMT sector-wide initiatives.
- Support the IP practice group on day to day business development activity that is AMT focused or sector agnostic.
Leadership/Coordination and Team Management
- Line manage two Business Development Executives in the team. Working day to day with these individuals, the applicant must create a nurturing, structured environment for them to consolidate their existing skills and stretch themselves. More generally, coach and guide junior members of the team on general approach and career aspirations; ‘champion’ the development and progression of team members within Pinsent Masons LLP.
- Liaise with Head of Sectors Business Development, other Heads of BD and BDMs to share best practice and coordinate BD activity to facilitate collaborative working between Practices and Sectors.
- Support the Sector in all aspects of business development, covering a wide portfolio of BD skills, to include targeting, developing thought leadership campaigns, measuring tactical activity and encouraging strategic alliances.
- Play both a lead advisory and ‘hands-on’ role in coordinating and shaping proposals and credential statements, as well as leading and advising on designated “must win” pursuits/opportunities.
- Be prepared to challenge and/or sense-check the development of core propositions and define how the firm goes to market in a systematic, innovative and resource-efficient manner.
- Encourage and support Relationship Partners in their pursuit, development and maintenance of “Atlas” clients. Atlas is the firm’s approach to relationship development. Contribute to client development programme including for example, participation in an Atlas Client Relationship Team for a key sector client as agreed with the Head of Client Relationships for the Sector.
- Manage the profile of the Sector by ensuring effective use of all communication channels for the sector and firm generally collaborating with relevant BD colleagues including Sector and Practice colleagues to encourage cross-sector intelligence and working.
- Collaborate with BD colleagues to implement relevant international Sector plans
- Oversee firm wide BD activities such as legal directory submissions, web site material, creds database, case study material and similar activities.
- Lead formulation and management of the BD budget for the component parts of the Sector and ensure the firm is getting the best ROI from the budget.
- Process business development expenses to ensure expenditure is consistent with agreed policies and plans.
- At all times act as an ambassador for the business development strategy and team.
- Degree educated
- Experience of undertaking a similar role in a partnership environment.
- Experience with fast moving industries is desirable.
- Ideally 2-3+ years management experience.
- Team management and mentoring skills.
Key Skills & Behaviours:
- Proven ability to advise and influence senior stakeholders.
- Commercially aware with a track record in growing existing and new business.
- Nurtures internal and external relationships.
- Listens, understands and adapts to the needs of clients and colleagues.
- Comfortable giving a substantiated/measured opinion to facilitate progress.
- Shows judgement and common sense.
- Commits to action.
- Displays resilience.
- Manages change & deals with uncertainty.
- Communicates clearly.
- Demonstrates professionalism, applies expertise and focuses strategically.
- Engages with risk & shows personal courage.
- Demonstrates self awareness and a commitment to personal development.
- Exhibits behaviours consistent with the firm’s core values of ‘open & approachable’, ‘ambition & excellence’ and ‘respect and co-operation’ when working with clients and colleagues.