We have an exciting new opportunity for a Senior Associate to join our Commercial Disputes team in London, focusing in particular on the areas of media and information law, including cyber security and contentious data protection.
Osborne Clarke’s progressive media and information law team acts for both claimants and defendants on a wide range of litigation, crisis and advisory work. Whilst the team carries out a varied balance of libel, privacy, harassment and commercial litigation for Tech and Media clients, the team is best known for:
- Complex reputational matters with an international element;
- Its work for internet platforms – some of the world’s leading internet platforms choose to instruct the team on information law and platform liability matters; and
- Its cybersecurity and contentious data privacy expertise – Whilst a number of firms have grown their expertise in this area, which is the fast-growth area of the work in this practice area, Osborne Clarke is widely regarded as market leaders having advised on some of the most high profile international data breaches and cyber-attacks in the last 3 years.
The team is looking for an ambitious commercial litigator with expertise in media and information law to help meet an increasing workload, grow the team and develop his/her own practice within the team.
Since Ashley Hurst’s arrival in 2016, the firm’s reputation and track record in this area has continued to grow, particularly in the specialist areas of Reputation Management, Cybersecurity and Contentious Data Protection.
Osborne Clarke is known for all things digital and the team works alongside digital and regulatory specialists across our international network to deliver cutting-edge advice to global companies and disruptors.
To find out more about the practice, please see the link below.
The role will primarily be supporting 2 partners:
- Ashley Hurst has a broad disputes practice but is best known as a market leader in the field of media and information law, including data privacy and cybersecurity.
- Charlie Wedin is a commercial litigation partner with an increasing proportion of his practice dedicated to cyber security, contentious data protection and crisis management.
- Ashley and Charlie sit within our Commercial Disputes group, which consists of 13 further Partners, 2 Legal Directors, 7 Associate Directors, 12 Senior Associates, 8 Associates, 4 Trainee Solicitors and 1 Paralegal spread across London, Bristol and Reading.
The role would be based in London at the firm’s newly refurbished headquarters but the team works on an agile basis.
Recent work examples
Much of the team’s work is highly confidential but recent examples that are in the public domain include:
- Acting for Qatar Airways in relation to malicious falsehood proceedings brought against the Saudi Arabian news organisation, Al Arabiya Group. The proceedings arise out of a highly political animated online video published by Al Arabiya throughout the world.
- Acting for Appleby in relation to its high profile dispute with the BBC and The Guardian concerning the so-called “Paradise Papers”. This was a ground-breaking action in many ways but resulted in a confidential settlement in May 2018.
- Advising the Police Federation in relation to two simultaneous cyber-attacks, together with the regulatory and litigation consequences flowing it.
The team counts Verizon Media, TripAdvisor, Under Armour, Discovery, Hargreaves Lansdown and Revolut amongst its clients.
Desired skills, attributes and experience
The ideal candidate will have a passion for media and information law but may have either a media litigation or general commercial litigation background. Some experience of litigating libel and privacy cases is essential and it would be a bonus to have handled data breaches. In addition, we are looking for:
- A team player;
- A technically excellent litigator and problem solver capable of turning his/her hands to a wide variety of difficult situations;
- Someone who enjoys building relationships with clients and developing new business;
- A self-starter who likes working in a fast-paced environment.
We are ideally looking for an Associate or Senior Associate level lawyer, however we are happy to consider candidates with more or less experience.
Your career development
Like all our lawyers, you will benefit from our multi-award winning career development programme. At each stage of your career this provides you with:
- clear expectations of your role and what it takes to progress;
- high quality clients and work, with early responsibility and client exposure;
- thorough assessment and individual feedback from a range of experienced colleagues;
- robust technical training with early skills based development, increasingly tailored to you; and
- reward for your contribution, progression and potential, rather than PQE or tenure.