We have an exciting opportunity for a Business Development Manager to join our dynamic Marketing & Sales team. With over 40 employees across our three UK offices (Bristol, London and Reading), the team supports domestic and international communications, marketing, sales, events and brand strategy. This is a full time, permanent position that can be based in either our Bristol or London office, although the role will involve regular travel between our three UK offices, as well as occasional travel overseas.
Osborne Clarke is an international legal practice with over 270 Partners and more than 900 talented lawyers in 26 locations*. Our sector-based approach enables us to help our clients tackle the issues they are facing today, and prepare for the ones that they will face tomorrow. Advising them both comprehensively and commercially. We love working closely with our clients on new deals, products and solutions which will transform their businesses, markets and even sectors.
We consider our inclusive and approachable culture to be fundamental to our success. This was recognised at the Managing Partners Forum (MPF) Awards where we were awarded Best Corporate Culture 2019. In addition, Osborne Clarke ranks in the top five of RollOnFriday’s independent Firm of the Year employee survey for the last four years, scoring highly for its friendly culture and management. The firm was recognised as Bristol Law Society’s Law Firm of the Year in December 2018 and commended for its work at the FT Innovative Lawyer Awards in 2017 and 2018.
Reporting to the Head of Business Development, you will be responsible for driving growth for Osborne Clarke within the Technology, Media and Communications (TMC) and Life Sciences & Healthcare (LSH) markets. Working closely with our Sector Heads, you will:
- Develop an effective sector strategy that builds long term growth
- Develop a sales strategy for both accounts and targets , deciding on where to grow long term relationships and building a sales funnel and relationship plan
- Project manage sales opportunities and pitches to deliver tailored, compelling propositions, coaching the pitch teams with support from the Head of Business Development
- Manage major accounts, using the established CRM system
- Work with Service Lines to identify lead services to develop through TMC and LSH sub-sectors
- Create new relationships and take ownership of agreed sales campaigns through a combination of coaching and direct leadership
Progress the European TMC and LSH plans
- Work with fee-earners to improve their personal business development and account management skill sets
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Client facing experience that has directly generated and developed relationships for major corporates and/or professional services firms, including internationally
- Strategic sector insight, ideally from across the TMC and LSH markets
- Credible expertise in assessing and managing opportunities/relationships, preferably within a professional services environment
- Effective networking skills to network alongside partners at key sector events
- Strong project management skills in order to assess and manage projects effectively across both Business Services and legal teams
- You will also ideally have existing contacts within the TMC and LSH sectors and have a high level of competency in one or more European languages, although these skills are not essential.
You will be:
- Exceptionally organised, with a good eye for detail
- Rigorous in agreeing priorities and identifying the appropriate level of importance/urgency for projects
- An excellent communicator with the ability to build long-term relationships
- Confident to self-assess projects and issues and to suggest alternative ways to improve efficiency and effectiveness