This is a fixed term contract to cover our existing L&D Manager’s maternity leave. It is likely to be for a period of 11 months from early February 2019 to the end of the year. Ideally we are looking for someone to work 4 days per week, although there is some flexibility around working hours.
We stand out for being consistently excellent in advice: we not only provide technical excellence and experience but crucially, we also demonstrate real insight into our clients and what really matters to them. Our knowledge of our chosen sectors and markets, and our investment in our client relationships set us apart. We are a natural choice for FTSE100 and other “bold and beautiful” clients.
The HR Team
The HR team provides commercial and solutions focused advice supporting employees and partners in each of our offices globally to attract, retain and develop a diverse, high performing workforce in order to be the go-to law firm and employer of choice in our chosen markets.
Purpose of the Role
Having launched a new L&D strategy in January 2018 the focus will be on leading the L&D team, continuing the momentum and further developing our current offer to ensure that we are offering relevant and useful training.
Frequent travel to our other UK offices will be necessary, with occasional overnight stays.
Possible International travel also required.
The following list of duties is not exhaustive but gives a flavour of the duties we would expect the L&D Manager to undertake:
- Develop, manage and operationalise the L&D strategy, working with the Head of Talent & Learning to ensure strong alignment with the firm’s strategy
- Manage and develop the L&D team (One Senior Advisor, one Advisor and one Co-ordinator), reviewing and ensuring activity is in line with the L&D and firm’s strategy
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the business to identify development needs and establish appropriate solutions and methods of delivery to support the development of key skills, both firmwide and in specific divisions
- Lead the design, development and delivery of the firm’s career milestone programmes e.g. the New Partner Development Programme, New Managing Associate Day, Associate Development Programme, Newly Qualified Programme and Flourish (the firm’s Female Development Programme)
- Lead L&D initiatives and support for our international offices, working with Associate Executive teams in the GCC and Asia to establish practical learning solutions
- Lead the design and delivery of the firm’s training curriculum
- Take responsibility for communication of L&D initiatives across the firm, working with the communications team to utilise innovative communications options
- Take accountability for the firm’s approach to CPD and compliance with local regulation, both in the UK and internationally
- Build strong relationships across the firm to ensure development options have clear business outcomes, are joined up with other activities and are high quality
- Design and facilitate bespoke team sessions, and a variety of personal and business skills training across the firm
- Select and establish strong relationships with high quality external experts, to support the delivery of L&D topics (not designed within the team), ensuring maximum value for the business
- Conduct one to one and group coaching sessions, as required and supervise the internal coaches within the team
- Manage relationships with all external coaches and manage the firm’s external coaching programme
- Oversee the design and development of e-learning, systems and resources as part of an effective delivery strategy
- Support the management of all of the firm’s compliance training by the Senior Advisor
- Manage the L&D budget and review efficiencies in both processes and focus of investments
- Provide support to the Head of Talent & Learning and HR Director on wider strategic projects.
Knowledge, skills and experience required (bespoke to role)
This role requires an experienced L&D professional, ideally with knowledge and experience of the Legal or Professional Services sectors.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal. Able to clearly and succinctly present key business messages externally, and to successfully influence at all levels internally
- Excellent relationship builder both within the business and with external contacts, with an ability to adapt style appropriately to different circumstances
- Project management skills and experience – planning and organising multiple activities/projects to ensure that deadlines are achieved
- Highly organised, a good time manager and able to effectively juggle conflicting demands
- Professional Services background preferred however should be able to demonstrate ability to work well and operate comfortably within a partnership structure / culture
- Experience of managing and developing a team
- A proven track record in designing and delivering training to a high standard
- Strong coaching skills
- Good relationship management skills (internal and external)
- Flexibility and ability to adapt readily to changing requirements and circumstances.
- Graduate calibre, CIPD qualified or equivalent