This role requires an experienced Bids professional to lead on key proposals and enhance the level of support, creativity and continually improve internal processes.
The team is well established and supports on a wide range of proposals from “routine” service line opportunities through to major FTSE100 panel opportunities. There are some established best practices, but the team prides itself on it’s ethic of continual improvement.
The role reports to the Head of Bids, and has close working relationships across many areas of the business, including Partners and Senior Managers.
Working as part of the BD New Business team, the Bids’ Manager will:
- challenge on Go/No Go decisions, with both quantifiable evidence and knowledge of other decisions for the same similar clients around the business
- advise lead partners and associates on bid strategy and formulation of winning proposition
- project manage of overall bid process, including:
– initial scoping
– document development, including writing elements of content
– developing and challenging key messages/propositions
- developing and challenging pricing propositions
- liaising with the design function in the production of bids documentation
- coach bid teams at the presentation stages of pitches
- work with Business Systems Co-ordinator to ensure all deal information and other information is captured and shared for future bids conduct post tender debriefs
- collate, share and disseminate best practice and lessons learned
- work with partners and fee earners to drive account growth and facilitate best practice in account/relationship management
- liaise with other members of the bids’ team to develop overall quality of bids and efficiency of process
A detailed understanding of public sector procurement and best practice for clients such as Government Procurement Service, health trusts and other public sector bodies will be advantageous, though not an absolute requirement.
The Manager will be involved in a variety of bid types, ranging from key client panel reviews to one off projects and service line bids as well as smaller credentials pieces. It is expected that the Manager will look to call on other resource from around the business as appropriate.
Whilst there is no direct line report into this role, the Manager will be required to work with other BD colleagues, and others from around the business, who may be less experienced in bids’ work but who have a deeper knowledge of the client/client’s sector. It is expected that the Manager will feed into other BD teams – Key Clients, Markets, Marketing, Communications and Design – on key themes being seen in bids and client feedback.
Systems and processes
The Manager will be able to contribute to the constant development of BD pitching collateral in conjunction with the Design team. There will also be a requirement to liaise closely with colleagues from our Finance team to analyse client MI and financial reports.
Our systems and processes for storing and sharing data are evolving, and the Manager will be expected to contribute to ideas’ sharing and creative challenge.
Knowledge, skills and experience required (bespoke to role)
- excellent attention to detail;
- an ability to engage with different groups and stakeholders around the business – both in the UK and internationally – to promote best practice and develop relationships;
- ability to project manage bids effectively, and calmly in a fast paced environment to tight deadlines, often simultaneously;
- able to make connections between offerings throughout our seven offices to articulate a compelling proposal;
- able to demonstrate use of their initiative – looking for continuous improvement and ways to implement positive change;
- confidence to challenge partners constructively and put forward alternative suggestions to positively enhance the output;
- ability to influence the decision-making process appropriately;
- good writing and editorial skills for pitch content;
- flexibility when managing own workload and priorities to take others’ time commitments into account;
- a strong team player – willingness to support other colleagues;
- commerciality and acumen around various pricing models engaged by business;
- market awareness of developments in wider legal market, and empathy to challenges faced by our clients;
- a flexible approach to travel and working hours as some travel between our three UK offices will be an essential element of this role.